Here's another recipe I developed for a local company, Bow & Arrow Brand cornmeal. I'm so excited about it! In fact, I love it so much that I'm putting it in my new cookbook too! Finally a chocolate chip cookie that totally hits the spot, but doesn't contain junky ingredients. Not only are these babies packed with whole grains, they’re also free from refined flours and cholesterol. Be sure to enjoy a few straight out of the oven. Delish!
Tip: For high altitude baking, use slightly less baking powder (about 10% less or a scant ½ teaspoon).
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- ¼ cup cornmeal (I used Bow & Arrow Brand white cornmeal)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon EACH: baking powder and salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (use stevia-sweetened if you want to keep these refined sugar-free)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set it aside. If you have a silpat liner, use it as it will ensure the best cookies.
- In a medium bowl, place the wet ingredients.* Whisk until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Form the dough into small balls (or use a cookie scoop) and drop onto the cookie sheet, leaving room in between each one for them to expand. Bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cookies are best when removed from the oven before they actually look all the way “done.” Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
* NOTE: If your coconut oil is too solid to cooperate, heat it gently and then stir it into the other wet ingredients. If you do this, you’ll want to allow it to cool to room temperature before proceeding (or chill the dough in the refrigerator before baking). For best results, the dough should be at room temperature or cooler before baking.
Makes about one dozen cookies; SF (if using soy-free chocolate chips)/Blue