These whole grain donuts are baked, not fried, and I think you'll agree they're still completely delish! Recipe from FOOD LOVE.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon EACH: cinnamon and nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
One "Flegg" (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
1/2 cup nondairy milk
3 tablespoons non-virgin coconut oil (you can use virgin if you want them to taste like coconut)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
Final Bit: Organic powdered sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and lightly oil a donut baking pan (that makes 6 regular sized donuts).
2. Combine the dry ingredients together thoroughly. Set aside.
3. For the Flegg, stir the flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds) and water together and then let the mixture sit til thoroughly gooey, about 5 minutes. Then, stir the remaining wet ingredients into the Flegg until well combined.
4. Gently stir the wet mixture into the dry just until thoroughly combined. Place the mixture evenly into the donut cups, spreading it out evenly using your fingers or a spoon. Smooth out the tops and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Note: the tops may not be browned.
5. Place the donut pan, upside-down, on top of a cooling rack or clean counter. The donuts should come right out, but if not, you may tap the pan gently to release your circular newborns.
6. Dust the tops with organic powdered sugar and voila! Delicious, warm donuts up in your world!! Enjoy!
Makes 6 donuts (6 servings)
SF/Blue (according to the health guidelines in my books and Be Radiant program)
FINAL NOTES: I haven't tried it yet, but for my gluten-free friends, I might suggest a gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of the whole wheat pastry. I don't see why it wouldn't work! : )
Also, if you prefer a cinnamon spice donut, use only 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and up the cinnamon to 2 tablespoons. When done, dust the tops with both powdered sugar and cinnamon. YUM!!