Years ago, I tried a version of coconut caramel corn, made without refined sugar. It was GOOD. Ever since, I've been determined to recreate it! I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe, because it was just as good - and even my daughter (who currently has attitude about coconut sugar) couldn't get enough. It's delish, has only natural sweeteners, and contains less fat than typical caramel corn. Hope you love it!!
Recipe from my newest book, FOOD LOVE.
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Coconut Caramel:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons EACH: brown rice syrup and agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pop the popcorn in an air popper. You might need to do this in two batches. Alternatively, you may pop it on the stove. Place the popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a skillet set to medium heat, add the oil. Once it melts, add the remaining caramel ingredients and reduce heat to low. Gently boil for about two minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir - I use a heatproof rubber spatula to get all the caramel goodness out of the pan and then I stir the popcorn with it.
- Allow to cool slightly and then serve.
Serves 2; GF/SF/Blue